My first Whole 30 was a lot of work, we were scared to eat out (we also had the bright idea of doing a spending freeze the same month) so I cooked all 90 meals we ate that month. I love cooking but by the end of the month I was really burnt out on meal planning and cooking. My second Whole30 was much easier because I focused more on meal prep. I like to have all of our breakfast, lunch, and snacks prepared ahead of time as well as major recipe components (onions, spinach, peppers) washed, diced and ready for the week.
The easiest way to meal prep is to make 5-7 servings of one meal and portion it out to eat all week. This method is great if you don’t get bored easily and can eat the same thing several meals or nights in a row. This is basically what I do for breakfast. I will make 4 servings of sweet potato hash and alternate all week between that and scrambled eggs. Lunch is the same I get all the fixings for salad prepared so Ryan and I can just throw it all together the night before. We may change-up the protein, fruit, and nuts we put on day-to-day but for the most part it’s always: lettuce mix, carrots, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and onions.
I did a pretty basic meal prep this week: it took me a little under 2 hours from start to finish and I also got that night’s dinner done in this time. I usually make hash or scotch eggs but we switched it up a bit this week. You can also do things like brown any meat you need for the week, clean and dice your fruit, roast vegetables in advance. The more you prep the less work you will have during the week.
Our grocery haul to last us roughly 4 days
Here it is laid out step by step
You will need several tupperware or glass storage containers. The amounts of each item you prepare will depend on how many people you are prepping for. For instance usually boil 6-12 eggs at a time, there are 3 of us eating them for snacks and breakfast. I make 8 chicken breasts at a time.
1. Start eggs boiling: 7 minutes for hard-boiled, 4 if making for scotch eggs
2. Put Bacon in the oven: I did 400F for 15-20 mins starting from a cold oven. Mine was slightly less than crispy because I will be reheating in a microwave later in the week. There are ton of different methods for oven bacon out there.
-Your eggs should be done about now, drain and allow to cool.
3. Clean and Brine chicken breasts: trust me when I say brining your chicken is a must! Brining is basically a saltwater soak, it produces the most juicy meat ever. I will never make another Thanksgiving turkey without brining. There are many recipes like here and here.
4. Make Sausage (recipe below)
-Your Bacon should be ready about this time: take out and turn down oven
5. Make Egg Bake (recipe below)
6. Wash and Chop your lettuce: we use a combo of Romaine, Red Corral and Baby Spinach.
7. Wash and cut carrots: I usually chop 3 into sticks for snacking and 2 into matchsticks for salads
8. Wash and cut peppers into sticks: also diced about a cups worth to have on hand for recipes later in the week and scrambled eggs.
9. Slice an onion: dice another one to have on hand through out the week. A food processor can make quick work of dicing vegetables
10. Make your dressing: I make and store mine in a GNC protein shake bottle.
-Egg Bake should be done about now
11. Drain your chicken: I bake mine at 350 for 20 mins, but grilling it or pan frying would work too.
12. Congratulate yourself on being semi prepared for your week.
Salad Stuff, Boiled Eggs, Dressing, Bacon and Sausage
Vegetable Egg Bake: Breakfast for the week
Dinner: Spicy Salmon with Guacamole and really burnt Brussel sprouts
Chop 1 Zucchini, onions, 1 pepper and 2 handfuls of spinach.
Sauté in Olive Oil, just to soften do not cook all the way through
Add vegetables to a 9X13 baking dish
Beat 10 eggs together with 1 cup coconut milk salt and pepper
Pour egg mixture over eggs
Bake for 25 minutes in a 350 oven
Store covered in the fridge
2 pounds ground pork or any other ground meat you want
1 Tbsp ground Fennel
1 Tbsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbsp Chili Powder – Or more if you really like it spicy